Gartner Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2023
See what, when and how key technology trends will impact your strategic ambitions in the coming three years.
What are the Gartner Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2023?
- Digital Immune System
- Applied Observability
- AI Trust, Risk and Security Management (AI TRISM)
- Industry Cloud Platforms
- Platform Engineering
- Wireless-value Realisation
- Adaptive AI
- Sustainable Technology
What business priorities will the 2023 technology trends help address?
- optimising resilience, operations or trust;
- scaling vertical solutions, product delivery or everywhere;
- pioneering customer engagement, accelerated responses or opportunity; and
- pursuing sustainable technology solutions.
Theme 1: Optimise
These trends optimise IT systems for greater reliability, improve data-driven decision-making and maintain value and integrity of artificial intelligence (AI) systems in production.
- The Digital Immune System creates an enhanced customer experience by combining multiple software engineering strategies to protect against risk. Through observability, automation and extreme design and testing, it delivers resilient systems that mitigate operational and security risks.
- Applied Observability works from the data emitted by an organisation, using AI to analyse and make recommendations, which allow an enterprise to make faster and more accurate future decisions. When applied systematically, it can reduce the latency for response and optimise business operations in real time.
- AI TRISM supports AI model governance, trustworthiness, fairness, reliability, robustness, efficacy and data protection. It combines methods for explaining AI results, rapidly deploying new models, actively managing AI security and controls for privacy and ethics issues.
Theme 2: Scale
- Industry Cloud Platforms combine SaaS, PaaS and IaaS with tailored, industry-specific functionality that organisations can use to more easily adapt to the relentless stream of disruptions in their industry.
- Platform Engineering provides a curated set of tools, capabilities and processes packaged for easy consumption by developers and end users. It will increase end users’ productivity and reduce the burden on development teams.
- Wireless-value Realisation covers the provision of wireless network services from everything, including traditional end-user computing, support for edge devices, digital tagging solutions, etc. Such networks go well beyond pure connectivity, providing location and other real-time information and insight from analytics, and allow systems to harvest network energy directly.
Theme 3: Pioneer
- Superapps are more than composite applications that aggregate services. A superapp combines the features of an app, a platform and an ecosystem in one application, providing a platform for third parties to develop and publish their own miniapps on.
- Adaptive AI allows for model behaviour change post-deployment by using real-time feedback, to continuously retrain models and learn within runtime and development environments, based on new data and adjusted goals, to adapt quickly to changing real-world circumstances.
- Metaverse allows people to replicate or enhance their physical activities. This could happen by transporting or extending physical activities to a virtual world or by transforming the physical one. It is a combinatorial innovation made up of multiple technology themes and capabilities.
Theme 4: Sustainable Technology
- Gartner’s Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends will help fulfil your business needs to optimise, scale or pioneer.
- The trends allow you to align your technology innovation with the future strategic objectives of your enterprise.
- Investments in sustainable technology provide operational and financial benefits, and can create growth opportunities.